Luxury fountain pens are not inexpensive. They are also used for a wide range of applications, which means that could undergo major wear and tear with continued use. It might seem novel to you but you should dedicate time and effort in caring for your fountain pen. This will ensure that you can use your pen throughout its intended life span. Over time, fibers from dried ink, dust, and other substances can build up on the nib of your pen. This can disrupt the capillary action on the pen and result in poor writing quality.
Once you see any inconsistencies with the writing pattern or shoddy ink flow, it is a good indicator that you need to clean your pen. Below is a quick guide on how to clean a fountain pen and maintain its performance:
- Luxury fountain pens should be cleaned every 4 to 8 weeks, depending on the use. On the other hand, fountain pens that have not been used for a few days or a long time should still be cleaned. The ink could have settled on the nib and this could rest in poor writing when used on paper.
- It is important to know the basic parts of luxury fountain pens. These components include the nib, feed, and the ink supply. Each of these components performs differently and could encounter problems of their own. Therefore, you need to check each part of the pen when you are having trouble with its use.
- You should be using only clean and cold water when cleaning your fountain pen. Never use hot water as it can cause damage to the ink feed. In case your pen is extremely dirty, you can soak the nib to a water and ammonia solution overnight. This will help to break up any dried ink on the nib and result a more precise writing pattern.
- Another technique that you can try to clean the nib of your pen is a technique called flushing. Simply run water over the nib until the dried ink softens up and you can easily remove them. Preferably, use an ear syringe to add a stronger current of water into the nib rather than simply running it over the faucet.
- To dry the nib after washing, you must use a soft cloth. Make sure you shake the pen out a few times to make sure that you let all the water out from the nib. Once you have wiped off the nib with the cloth, you can leave it to dry. To allow longer drying time, clean your fountain pen right before bedtime so you can leave it overnight to dry.
- Proper storage is also crucial to the maintenance of your fountain pens. Avoid lying your pen down as this will force the ink to coagulate. Once the ink is coagulated, it will accumulate on the nib section and make it difficult to write through it. Always use a pen holder so that it is always in a standing position.
- Use quality inks. The final and most important reminder to caring for your fountain pen is to use quality inks. Choose ones that are especially formulated for use on fountain pens, such as J.Herbin fountain pen inks. This will ensure the best quality writing performance on your pen.
For more info on caring for your fountain pens and other helpful maintenance tips, you may visit https://www.notedian.com.